Monday, October 1, 2012

Oh, for the love of figs













Figs...

They always seemed a little too exotic for me. Fancy pants. I didn't grow up eating things like figs - we were more of a steak and potatoes kind of family. But the older and wiser (cough, cough...giggle...yep, I said wiser...) I get, the more I want to try new things. So, when I discovered fig paste, I was intrigued. It was on a cheese plate at The Wine Market with Manchego cheese, honey, toasted baguette slices with olive oil, sea salt and pepper...it was the best flavor combo. So simple and perfect! I was in love. Soon, there I was...buying fresh figs at Trader Joe's. I found a recipe for fig paste online and made a pint of the sweet and savory goodness. Shared it with some friends and it was a hit, so I thought I had to make it again. But this time, I went a little crazy. I filled many, many  jars of it...and this time, PRESERVED it! (Feeling so domestic, hon.)

I recently posted about canning...it's so much fun. Here are a few helpful references on both figs and canning:

Successful home canning

Hot water bath canning
Bon Appetit fig recipes and tips
The fig and the wasp

And, some photos of the canning process.


















Also, check out this great sandwich - fig, prosciutto, Fontina. Oh em geeee.














Fig tart goodness







Some flavors that love to be with figs:

Honey
Cheese (everything from goat to blue...)
Bacon
Thyme
Crème fraîche
Prosciutto
Orange
Raspberries
Walnuts
Port




And, because it was there on the curb calling my name, I bought a fig tree at Whole Foods and it has a great sunny spot in the backyard. It's three years old now and bore teeny tiny fruit this year...can't wait for next year! The fig tree makes me really happy. 

Feed your soul. My soul likes figs.

2 comments:

  1. Our neighbors have a fig tree. I am definitely going to try canning some. I'm a longtime fan of your blog, although I didn't realize you had chickens! I hope I can persuade you to come share this post on my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/09/farm-girl-friday-blog-fest-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - You are so nice to write! I would love to participate with the blog fest - will you pls email me? amylangrehr@gmail.com

      Delete