Friday, January 4, 2013

Mac 'n Cheesy Goodness





Since becoming an avid home cook - and giving up cable for about two years - I've begun to appreciate the cooking shows on PBS. You know, the ones hosted by Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, José Andrés, Lidia Bastianich and...America's Test Kitchen. You know the show - they work and work and work on recipes and figure out how they come out best - and then, they show you how to do it. I've learned such helpful, basic tips (for example: always cook pasta about two minutes less than the package states.) I've also become a Cook's Illustrated online member so that I can check out videos and recipes whenever I want. In addition to recipes and cooking tips, they also have equipment and ingredient ratings, too. Best olive oil, immersion blenders, knife sharpeners and more. What a fabulous resource - well worth the $35 annual online fee.

I'd been looking for a good, classic mac 'n cheese recipe and saw Julia and Chris make it on a recent episode of ATK. Their recipe is a crowd (and kid) pleaser and uses very basic, yet tasty, cheeses - Monterey Jack and cheddar. While I love Ina's, as well as Martha's (but it dirties TOO MANY pots and pans) the ATK just may be my fave. Here is the recipe.




p.s. I got cable again a few months ago. Love Extra Virgin on the Cooking Channel and of course, Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network!

2 comments:

  1. Will definitely try this - although I am a big fan of the super creamy, American cheese mac that my mom made me when I was a kid. Suggest you check out Gina's Skinny Recipes - light versions of fattening favorites and everything I have tried has been awesome. Made Asian Turkey Meatballs for the diehard red meat lovers here and they were a hit!! Have pulled pork in the crock pot now and will be serving it with cilantro lime rice, spicy black beans and corn salsa - good for you and they don't need to know that - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Thanks -- I've made this recipe before and forgot about it. I renamed it Vermontery Mac N Cheese because, being from Vermont, obviously I'd only use VT cheddar with the Monterey Jack cheese. And, I love a good play on words. Keep up the good cooking and writing!

    ReplyDelete