Sunday, March 18, 2012

Market Fresh














I love Waverly Farmers Market. It's year round and I shop there every Saturday morning, buying everything from milk and cheese to meat, bread, eggs, potatoes, greens and more.

But...when spring rolls around, it's lots more fun. Sorta like payback for being a faithful market shopper...you see more familiar faces and you can tell what month it is based on what's at the farmers' booths. Here in Maryland, shortly we'll start seeing asparagus, strawberries, peas, radishes. blueberries. Then later, squash, corn, tomatoes, melons and so much more in between. Cannot wait. I can taste the fresh peas now.

In the meantime...you can join a CSA, which stands for Community Supported Agriculture. That means you 'buy in' now for a share of produce each week during the main growing season, supporting a local farm. I've written about my friends at One Straw Farm before - they do the CSA thing really well and I've been member with them for years. But, you should do your research and choose whichever one seems best for you. You can find CSAs near you by searching on Local Harvest. Then, each week from June through November, you'll get fresh local produce and you will know exactly where your food comes from - it doesn't get any better or fresher than that.

Another option - if you have the time and space - is to plant a vegetable garden. Big or small, you will save money, get creative and...learn a lot along the way. It's the ultimate satisfaction - picking your food right when you're going to eat it. Kinda like how I collect eggs from my hens and then cook them for breakfast. I love it!

Here are some of the things I'm looking forward to seeing at my local farmers market - how about you?











































No comments:

Post a Comment